Inquery: Picksaw vs the new pickaxes? (2024)

• Thread starterTerrasyn
  • Start dateJul 15, 2015
  • Forums
  • Terraria - Discussion
  • General Terraria Talk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #1

So we all know that the Picksaw has a very fast use time of 15, where the new pickaxes have a use time of 11.

However, there's also the hidden stat known as

mining speed, which determines your actual mining speed. And this is something I can't figure out.

The Shroomite Digging Claw still has the absolute fastest mining speed with 4, not including the Drill Containment Unit. The Picksaw is listed as having a speed of 6. But how does the Picksaw compare to the new pickaxes? I imagine they are all identical, but understanding their actual mining speed (not use time) is something I'm having trouble with.

I'm tempted to say that the Picksaw is faster, or at least it seems so. Any opinions/ideas/thoughts?

Xylia

Terrarian
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #2

Terrasyn said:

However, there's also the hidden stat known as

From actual use, it seems the Solar Pickaxe is about the same as the Picksaw, 'cept on some of the tougher blocks I think the Solar is stronger?

Otherwise, the speed difference really isn't that much and that +4 range on the Solar one rocks.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #3

Xylia said:

Indeed, I'm tempted to say that, other than range, they are no different (in fact the increase in mining power doesn't mean much since anything from the Picksaw and beyond can mine anything, at least as far as I know).

Xylia

Terrarian
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #4

Terrasyn said:

Mining Power makes harder blocks take less hits.

That is why on, say, Hardmode Ores and Chlorophyte, the new picks might mine those slightly faster than the Picksaw does.

Huh, Wiki says that Solar Flare has 7 (1 worse) than the Picksaw... but the +4 Range is still good, and oddly enough the +Pickaxe Power doesn't change Any of the blocks. Dunno why the devs would even bother adding it.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #5

Xylia said:

Mining Power makes harder blocks take less hits.

Exactly my point. I found that rather odd myself. Made me wonder what the point is in crafting the new pickaxes. Novelty, I suppose? Inquery: Picksaw vs the new pickaxes? (6)

Xylia

Terrarian
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #6

Terrasyn said:

Exactly my point. I found that rather odd myself. Made me wonder what the point is in crafting the new pickaxes. Novelty, I suppose? Inquery: Picksaw vs the new pickaxes? (8)

+4 Range helps when building stuff. Hamaxe is the fastest hammer I know of (I never tried the Spectral one) and is pretty quick at taking down trees too.

I do think they should at least bump it up to 250% so that the hardmode ores get reduced to 2 hits instead of 3. That'd at least be something.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #7

Yeah, you would think. But the added range is nice. Still, for someone who is new to the Moon Lord, it doesn't seem worth it to spend your precious fragments (contrary to what you may have learned when going through the game normally).

W1K

Witch
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #8

I don't know what this "mining speed" deal is, but the only "mining speed" stat in the sources is the mining speed bonus from various gears. Mining speed is determined by useTime, which wiki does completely wrong.

In terms of speed, I don't see any difference between the new pickaxes and Picksaw as they seem to have the same useTime. They do have slightly more pick power (which determined nothing but how many hits a tile takes to break), but I'm not sure whether picksaw can instantly destroy any brick in a single hit or not. The extra range is what really gives them superiority. Digging Claw is indeed still the fastest pickaxe (4 usetime instead of 6) but honestly, it's already really easy to reach the mining speed cap with a picksaw.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #9

W1K said:

Whoops, my mistake, I'm confusing myself here, apologies.

We've got two separate statistics, but the one I'm referring to is mining speed, what you call Use Time. My point being that the newer pickaxes have a use time of 7, where the Picksaw has 6. On the flip side, you have extra range with the newer models.

Last edited:

FlakMaster

The Destroyer
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #10

W1K said:

it's already really easy to reach the mining speed cap with a picksaw.

Now that you can have the Celestial Shell, Stone and Moon/Sun stone equipped at the same time, yeah. That's perma 60blocks per second with a light shroomite claw. Picksaw and the new pickaxes I believe need a mining pot on top to reach that, but it's not like they aren't hard to get now.

Juno Brier

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 15, 2015
  • #11

I see the four celestial Pickaxes as a nice middle ground between the previous holy trinity of digging tools.
Picksaw had the power, Shroomite Digging Claw had the speed, and Spectre Pickaxe had the range.
But these ones have all three (but slightly less), meaning you only need one Pickaxe instead of three.

And both at that point and in the long run, the slight decrease in digging power compared to Picksaw isn't that much of a deal anyway.

That's just my stance on the whole issue.

Lollipop Chainsaw

Terrarian
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #12

The pickaxe drop from the Martian event is by far my favorite.

kilozombie

Terrarian
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #13

Just a question- why does mining speed matter so much if there's the drill mount that blows every pickaxe out of the water? If it's for building, Lollipop Chainsaw is right, the Laser Drill has very long range and doesn't mine too quickly, so it's absolutely perfect.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #14

kilozombie said:

The Drill mount wouldn't be my ideal choice for precise mining.

kilozombie

Terrarian
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #15

Terrasyn said:

The Drill mount wouldn't be my ideal choice for precise mining.

What good is precise mining?

Like I said, if you need to mine a wood block you misplaced or something, the Laser Drill saves hassle by being +10 range. If you need materials, the Drill Mount is ridiculously fast. Don't get me wrong, I love fast pickaxes, it's just a little mitigated.

Terrasyn

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #16

kilozombie said:

What good is precise mining?

You're right, it's not like I want to build a level house or anything.

The Laser Drill is a great option for sure, just feels wonky to me. It also requires a decent investment (many Moon Lord killings, along with the other proper bars) to forge it. Mostly down to preference. I use the Drill Unit when I really need to make a hole or a cave and don't care for precision.

kilozombie

Terrarian
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #17

Terrasyn said:

You're right, it's not like I want to build a level house or anything.

Yeah, a fast pick is probably better for keeping a world not completely destroyed, admittedly, and I get what you mean with the Laser Drill. (It's a Martian drop BTW, the drill mount is the craftable one).

Xylia

Terrarian
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #18

The Laser Drill has the whole Edge of Space thing going with it, and it can feel kinda awkward to use from when I tried using it.

The Range is nice, but with infinite flight mounts that we got now... when do I need +10 range? I can either walk up to what I'm mining, I can grapple next to it... and now I can just press R and hover infinitely next to it.

What good is +10 range when I can't pick up the blocks that are mined? Unless maybe I'm trying to make a lava flow or empty lava... oh wait, I got an endless water bucket to do the latter with.

FlakMaster

The Destroyer
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #19

I don't have enough experience with the mining mount thing, so I don't know whether it mines at 60blocks per second...or if you can increase its speed in the first place.

If it can't reach 60blocks/s, then I see it as pretty pointless. That's just me, though.

Juno Brier

Eye of Cthulhu
  • Jul 16, 2015
  • #20

What I don't like about the Laser Drill is that compared to the top pickaxes, it's hella slow.

FlakMaster said:

The Mining Mount is definitely the second-fastest method of clearing blocks in the game (second only to Snowman Cannon with Rocket IV, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Forums
  • Terraria - Discussion
  • General Terraria Talk
Inquery: Picksaw vs the new pickaxes? (2024)
Top Articles